15c - Bethel Baptist Church, Meeting Street
Bethel Baptist Church is the oldest Baptist church in the Bahamas and was originally founded in 1790, prior to the arrival of the first British Missionaries in 1833. The land was purchased by Prince Williams and Sambo Scriven (freed slaves) and it is most likely that Prince Williams, a carpenter, built the original wooden chapel named Bethel’s “Meeting House”. The name “Meeting House” was a careful choice as the law forbade black men from holding positions of leadership within a church. As a venture solely owned and operated by such men, Bethel’s Meeting House was exceptional and pioneering.
Over the years the church has been rebuilt after the original was destroyed by a hurricane and has undergone extensive renovations and additions to accommodate the demands of the continuously growing membership.
Under the current leadership of Pastor Stewart, Bethel Baptist Church is continuing to make an outstanding contribution to the spiritual development of the congregation, the community and the country.
25c - St. Agnes Anglican Church Baillou Hill Road, Grants Town
Originally the Anglican Church was essentially an institution of the elitist establishment until 1841, when Deacon Edward Jordan Rogers, of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (SPG), was placed in charge of Grant’s Town and began holding services at the old African schoolhouse at what is now Market and Cockburn Streets. Just seven years after the Emancipation Act of 1834 this singular move represented the church’s pastoral and evangelical response to the “New Bahamas” created by the Act.
In 1845, Bishop Spencer of Jamaica, who had responsibility for The Bahamas, arrived in Nassau and dedicated the schoolroom as a church. Thus, in 1845, St. Agnes Church officially began its historic mission of service to God and Man in the Over-the-Hill heartland.
Reverend Father Ivan Ranfurly Brown officially assumed responsibilities as the rector of St. Agnes Church in 2007. He became the twelfth rector and the fifth Bahamian to head the Church. St. Agnes remains at the heart of the Anglican Diaspora in the Diocese, continuing with each change of leadership to be relevant to the times and to its congregation, many of whose family lines stretch back as far as the church’s itself.
50c - Church of God East Street, Lily of the Valley Corner
The birth of the East Street Cathedral Church of God is synonymous with the emergence of the whole Church of God movement in the Bahamas in 1909. Among the original converts and founding members of the church were Wilmore Eneas and his wife who experienced much persecution, including the destruction of their house by fire.
These problems caused the founders to move first to Fox Hill and then to Bain Town before settling in 1919 at Eneas Jumper corner off East Street in a new wooden church. The church came to be known as Eneas Jumper Church; hence the street was named after the church.
Later the church moved to its present location. Property was purchased on the corner of East Street and Lily of the Valley corner where a beautiful stone structure was built and they called it the church of God Cathedral.
65c - Hillview Seventh-day Adventist Church Tonique Darling Highway
The church can trace its roots back to 1942 when Sister Haddassah Poitier, then a member of Grants town SDA Church, invited all of the children in the neighborhood to Friday evening vespers and Branch Sabbath School classes the following day. Close by another grants Town SDA member, Sister Evangeline Rolle also conducted classes in her home. Soon after the classes combined to form one large class of around 100 children.
Over time the company grew, in 1952 organized itself into a church and in 1955 built the old section of the present Englerston Church. With a growing congregation expansion proved insufficient and it was clear that a new church was required. In 1976 the foundation was laid and in 1986 the new but incomplete church was finally occupied.
FDC Envelope - Wesley Methodist Church Malcolm Allotment East
The first Wesley Church (Baillou Hill Road) was built in 1839, shortly after the abolition of slavery. It was a wooden building on a plot of given by Lieutenant Governor Sir Francis Cockburn.
In 1869 the first stone chapel was erected but destroyed by the 1926 hurricane before being rebuilt in 1929 of ‘quarry stone’.
In 2013 Rev. Cecil Newbold, another son of Wesley and a trustee of the church became the pastor and it is under his leadership, the congregation celebrates its 179th anniversary. As the Wesley congregation worshipping at Malcolm Road East, we continue to “praise God for all that is past, and trust Him for all that’s to come. “
Designer: Bee Design
Printer: Lowe-Martin Group
Process: Stochastic Lithography
Perforation: 13.3 per 2cms
Stamp size: 36 x 36mm
Sheet Layout: 20 (2 x 10)
Release date: 29 November, 2018
Production Co-ordination: Creative Direction (Worldwide) Ltd